Isle of Purbeck Golf Club
Swanage, Dorset, United Kingdom
The Isle of Purbeck GC was founded in 1892, the coming of the railway meant hotels were being built and Summer visitors were increasing rapidly. Among its past owners were Dr Darrell-Waters, a consultant of distinction and his wife Enid Blyton, the legendary writer of children's books. At the time the club was called the Studland Bay Golf Club and the clubhouse was located on the left hand of the Swanage to Studland road.
In 1965, after 14 years in charge, Darrell-Waters sold the club to Mr Randolph, who was about to retire from his positions as Chairman and Managing Director of the family firm, The Wilkinson Sword Company. It was Randolph who in 1966 restored the club to its original name "The Isle of Purbeck GC". This was also the year the new clubhouse, still in use today, was built. It features giant fossils in the walls and the connection with the Wilkinson Sword Company , is present throughout. Swords are played for annually by the members in the Randolph Trophy.